Monday, September 26, 2016

Anniversary goodness


Another anniversary spent out of town, looking for more vintage goodness.

I didn't turn up a whole lot. Found a few things I would have loved if the price had been right. Little by little I'm learning not to get too excited when I see something I want before I see the price tag.

Here's the loot I did bring home:


A chippy, but charming, vintage Fiesta teapot in Cobalt blue. 8 small pink MacBeth Evans Dogwood plates I got from a super cheap and cheerful booth.

And two pieces of Pyrex - the Snowflake Blue because I needed it to complete my 480 casserole set, and a duplicate *ahem* triplicate red Friendship casserole set I bought because I wanted it to replace the duplicate piece I have that has a small chip in the handle.

And Hooray! I found the new must-have Pyrex! And on our wedding anniversary, no less!


A very kind Walmart employee with a magical scanner device hunted these down for me. We were at least an hour and a half away from home, so I felt a little bit like a poacher, checking 'someone elses' Walmart. But it was the end of the night and we still had a long drive home, and tired as we already were we thought we might as well check yet another Walmart for these.

Plus I was hoping we'd have some anniversary luck. And we did! Good thing too because 'my Walmart' can't find these dishes, and the ones nearby have already sold all theirs/have them on order/can't find/haven't gotten them.


I wanted to take a picture of them with the original vintage dishes I thought were closest in size. These are 472's  (the middle size).

The Butterprint pattern is really close in size to the original, but as you can see, the Snowflake Blue pattern is quite a bit bigger, as well as a darker color than the original.

I also realized that this is the first time in nearly 50 years that Pyrex has actually produced the Butterprint pattern. Nifty!


And finally, my husband got the Twin Peaks soundtrack lp for me as a surprise anniversary gift.

I was a weird kid. I remember there being buzz about Twin Peaks before it started, enough so that I remember watching the two hour premiere.

It came on as a mid-season replacement on ABC. I remember me and my grandmother sitting there, watching the opening credits.

I was mesmerized by the music. It was the second time in my young life that the music from something just grabbed me up and stuck in my brain. (The other song, in case you were wondering, which I'm sure you aren't, was when Bo and Hope got married on Days of our Lives. Lol.)

When I was in high school I saw the soundtrack on cassette tape, for sale, used and cheap, so my broke teenager self bought it. And played it CONSTANTLY. It was moody and weird and melodic and quirky and just everything that I loved.

I have spent my adult life buying Twin Peaks (the series) in pretty much every format it's ever been in. Had a boyfriend or two that said they'd done the same thing with buying Star Wars in its many incarnations.

It's been long enough that I watched the VHS box set go from the record store price of $149.00 (pre-internet days), to $85.00 or so though Amazon (dial-up internet days), to used media store price of $12.99 (so cheap I bought a second copy, lol).

I've yet to pony up for the blu ray. I'm sure I will at some point. But for now, I just enjoy the warm, creepy feeling I get when I listen to my snazzy new vinyl lp.

Anyways, that's all for now.

Hope you're finding cool treats and nifty treasures!

Happy Thrifting!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment