Thursday, February 12, 2015

For the love of vintage

Do you have any newly made vintage-inspired items you've bought lately? Or do you only stick to the originals? For myself, it's really hard to justify newly made kitchen stuff no matter how cute it is simply because I've got so much vintage. But once in a while, something really strikes my fancy and I have to buy it anyway.

I've been buying the new colored Ball jars since they came out with blue. I'd just read about the purple ones when I saw them yesterday at Kmart. I believe they are also supposed to be the larger size in these too, but they didn't have any of them. I love the large quart jars for water glasses, pint size for fizzy drinks. Good portion control. I just wish they'd made the large jars in blue. I wonder why they didn't?

And as much as I really don't need any more Pyrex (especially NEW Pyrex), I still have been buying the seasonal patterns when I've seen them at Target. I've missed a few that seem to only be at stores nowhere near me. I believe they are doing this style dish in a New Dots homage pattern. I bet those will sell really well to collectors and non-collectors alike :-)


And finally, I had a ten dollar off coupon at JC Penney's, so I splurged and bought a 4 bowl Zak designs nesting bowl set. I already had the extra-large blue bowl, so the 4 bowl set nests right inside it. As much as I love the vintage Texas ware confetti bowls, the bright colors of the Zak designs bowls lured me in. I also have a few Rachael Ray garbage bowls because of the style and colors.

JC Penney, however, gets on my nerves. These bowls used to be 38 dollars when they were "fair and square" pricing. Now the same bowls that have been sitting there for years have had their prices re-stickered to 62 dollars, so they can be on 30% - 40% for $34.99.

On the other hand, their coupons and gimmicks got me to walk back into a store, so I guess they were right after all. Either way, I got my bowl set, and if I buy anymore Zak bowls it will likely be when they turn up at Tuesday Morning or TJ Maxx.

On the thrift/antique store front, I really haven't been shopping in a while. And when I have, the shelves have been very, very bare. I'm hanging a lot of hope on yard sale season and warmer weather!

Hope you've been finding thrifty treats and treasures!

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Purple!? Wow, I have the green and blue too. I love decorating with them and using them for vases. I still need to get the Pyrex, may be too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been buying the Pyrex seasonal dishes for the last couple of years. They are just too cute and suck me in every time! Just wait...in 50 years we can sell them for big bucks!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete