Friday, February 20, 2015

A couple of finds

It's been freezing cold and all manner of ice, sleet and snow around these parts lately, so I haven't been out much. Didn't even hit the town for Valentine's Day, like we typically do.

I did however find this lovely blue doily casserole at the flea market. For ten bucks, I didn't even try to bargain it down. This is the smaller sized casserole, though it looks larger in the picture. I've had the lid for its larger sized version since very early on in my collecting days, but have never seen the turquoise base to complete it. I've never quite understood why they paired this color base with a dark blue lid?

And my one thrift find is this unmarked almost lavender-colored melmac mixing bowl. It has a size number on it of 111, and it's the same shape and size as a marked Texas ware bowl I have. But poking around on ebay I noticed that Brookpark made bowls with the same shapes and marking numbers. So this could be either of those or neither. The fact that it's not marked is, I'm guessing, the only reason it made it to the shelves at Goodwill. I'm pretty sure they are sending off everything even vaguely vintage to their website these days. Either way, I like it a lot and it's a welcome addition to my new and vintage melmac bowl collection.

Hope you're finding good stuff these days. The antique stores and thrifts around here are pretty bare and whatever they do have is crazy priced. It's a lean time of year around here for vintage goodies, that's for sure.

Happy Thrifting!

1 comment:

  1. I overheard two Goodwill employees talking the other day about the box of vintage costume jewelry they got donated recently. One of them said that they hadn't seen it in the case. The other one told her that was because it immediately got shipped off to be put on the website. That makes me so mad!!!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete