Friday, October 4, 2013

Mini-vacation goodies

Hubby is off for a few days, so we've actually been able to hit up some yard sales, for once.

I had the best conversation with the lady I bought these from. Turns out we collect some of the same things. She gave me a great deal on these pieces. I'm completely in love with the green depression glass mixing bowl. The blue Pyrex bowl finished a primary set that needed that exact piece. And the turquoise open baker was a piece I didn't have, so I was thrilled with all of it!  
After buying these guys and chatting with the lady for a while, the very next place we stopped had this gorgeousness sitting right there on the table just waiting for me. This is the large 475 piece - a 2 1/2 quart casserole. It even had its lid. It was ten dollars. I didn't even try to negotiate. After seeing all the 30 dollar pieces of pink gooseberry last week, I was happy to give the lady a 10 dollar bill and walk away with this prize.

And while we were driving around, we stopped at a once-in-a-while antique store. The Snowflake Blue butter dish top was sitting by its lonesome, marked a dollar. I knew just what I was going to do with it. I paid too much for the red casserole, sold with a plain lid, but I had plans for it, too. 


Voila! Sets complete and pieces reunited!

I knew the butter dish bottom I bought at a thrift store would one day pay off. It's been sitting in my lid stash for quite some time, just waiting for a top to call its own.

And speaking of lid stash, my husband found some Pyrex Friendship lids at a yard sale over a year and a half ago. They've also been sitting in my lid stash awaiting a good use. When I bought the orange dish it didn't have a lid either, so its come in very handy that he picked those up for me. I'm so happy to have completed the 470 set. Now if only I could ever find the regular mixing bowls and oval casseroles!

I was thrilled with my finds and especially happy to get to goof-off and go yard sale-ing with my husband!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Happy Thrifting!

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome feeling to have found the missing pieces you needed! I found that exact same red casserole at the flea market last week. It came with the clear lid but I think I have the printed one somewhere.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete