Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding

I haven't paid any attention to the royal wedding plans. It was only yesterday that my curiosity drove me to wikipedia because I couldn't remember exactly how old Prince William was. I could remember the brothers being younger than myself, but not by how much.

There was a certain sweetness in discovering that Kate, 29, and William, 28, are the same ages as my husband and I were when we got married.

I didn't watch any of the event on television. The recaps were enough to be reminded of all the things I associate with royal weddings. Cinderella, The Sound of Music, Princess Diana & Charles, the whole larger-than-life grandness of a wedding so celebrated and elaborate that we can only see it in the movies or our limitless imaginations.

The only real surprise in watching the videos was the sweetness of it. The little tiny moments. The whispered words of William to his still yet-to-be-bride only moments before the ceremony began. He also appeared to be giving it a noble effort (pardon the bad pun) at making soothing small talk as they stood on the balcony before the hundreds of cheering onlookers.

She looked quite shy and self-conscious by so much attention. Who could blame her? Her smiles and laughs seemed like nervous ones, but she was still remarkably poised.

I couldn't help but marvel at how very young they both seem, but still looking so remarkably mature. I'm realizing how much is changing, socially and culturally, in my own lifetime and age group. 30 is younger than it's ever looked before. And this new royal couple is quite an attractive example of this new, extended idea of 'young adulthood'.

So I find myself wishing them the best, and hopeful that they can escape the troubled, tabloided, and sad fates that have rocked the royal family for so long.

Good Luck & Best Wishes to Kate & William!

No comments:

Post a Comment