Thursday, December 18, 2014

Butterfly Blue

My husband and I headed out yesterday to an antiques district we generally only go to a few times a year.

When we both began the prowl for vintage we used to find tons of treasures - more than we could  afford! But these days, there's more stores/booths than ever, but just not what we are looking for, and hardly anything actually vintage! So much decor, TJ Maxx-style home furnishings, and repainted furniture. I am no longer a fan of chalk paint/milk paint or any other distressed-look style. I've just seen far too much of it in the last couple of years.

So hubs and I left almost empty handed. In fact, we spent more on lunch at Cracker Barrel than we did shopping, and that's counting both of us combined.

I love the things I did get though!
This is a small stack of scratch-and-dent Homer Laughlin pieces. The rippled edges are Riviera and the small round plate is Carnival. They were a dollar a piece, and I just couldn't pass them up at that price, despite small chips and glaze skips. Riviera and Carnival are my two favorite lines in Homer Laughlin to collect. It's much more rare for me to pick up a new piece of either than it is to find a tempting piece of Fiesta, so I basically collect it all. My dream is to buy either a geniune vintage medical cabinet stand to display my pieces in or to get the one they currently sell at Ikea in jadeite green.
And here's some Butterfly Gold I know for a fact that my mom doesn't have. And I'm not giving these to her because they are just too weird and cool.

According to pyrexlove and corellecorner, these were a gift item in 1977, commemorating Corning's first patent. Corelle corner references original packaging, but sadly, I can't find any pictures of what that might look like.

My husband thought they were the Blue Cornflower Corningware pattern when I showed these to him. I wouldn't have known what they were if I hadn't seen them several years ago via the flickr group. These are definitely my favorite Butterfly Gold items!

Hope you are having great luck and finding most excellent treasures!

Happy Holidays everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Those BG pieces are a major score! I have never ever seen anything like those in person. I don't blame you for hanging on to them :-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete