Friday, September 6, 2013

Retro Workout with Richard Simmons

As you can see, I've amassed quite the little Richard Simmons workout video selection. I've even got an LP, Reach, that I couldn't manage to find for this photo, that has gotten itself buried in my husband's no-discernible-order record collection. I've picked them up for .49 cents or less at various thrift stores, mostly Goodwill.

And before you ask, no, I've not done them or listened to them all. Not even close.

The toning videos require toning bands that I don't have yet, so I haven't given them a spin at all.

I've also discovered that Richard plus Latin music a/o Broadway tunes are a No for me. lol!

Blast off! is my go-to retro Richard Simmons workout video.
But this video here, Blast Off!, is my favorite video. I try to do this one early in my day right after I'm done with coffee. Making it a part of my morning routine helps me make sure I've done at least some exercise that day.

The hook is totally right when it says "Your 20-minute energizing workout video". I really do feel energized after doing it. And clocking in at 20 minutes, it's definitely the shortest of the videos I've done.

It's not a part of the Sweatin' to the Oldies series, so the music isn't what I would think of as hit/popular/known. The songs may be original to the video, I don't know for sure. But I still actually rather enjoy the music. It's the kind of positive-message 'you can do it' stuff that I would typically classify myself as far too (cynical? judgmental? jerky?) to enjoy. But I do. I really do.

What can I say? When Richard Simmons looks me in the eye and tells me "You shined today" I believe him. I believe him with all my ever-cynical little heart :-)

I think it's unfortunate that this video is only available on VHS on the secondary market. A lot of folks I know just don't have VCR's anymore. I'd whole-heartedly recommend it for anyone who wants a good go-to workout video that practically anyone, young or old, fit or not, can just jump right into. I love it so much, I bought a second copy for in case my first one breaks. And if I find more copies, I'd buy them too, to give to people.

I've been thinking about doing a general review of the different videos as I do them, basically just giving information on how long they are, general difficulty, whether they require special equipment, etc. I just hope that if I do that, I won't run off my vintage kitchen friends!

And for those of you thinking Richard Simmons, why I haven't thought of that guy since the 1980's he's still around - Facebook, Youtube, you name it. This cracks me up.





No comments:

Post a Comment