Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Keeping Myself Honest:The Fiesta Challenge


It's just 3 little pieces. Or that's what I keep telling myself.

You see, I've told my husband several different times now that there are two distinct categories of dishes that I really don't want to collect: Depression glass and Fiesta.

Actually, scratch that. I also told him, "I promise. No Jadeite. It's way too expensive."

And I was good to my word. That is, until a blue mug hopped into my hand at Goodwill for 29 cents.

And the thing that irked me the most is that it's heavy like restaurant ware. I *hearts* heavy old restaurant dishes.

So, it came home with me.

Then came more trouble. Turquoise saucer: 1 quarter at a little mom & pop junk store (this place doesn't even have a name as far as I know).

Rose colored (?) teacup again at Goodwill, 19 cents.

So, I made a decision. I'm keepin' it real, and setting an actual challenge for myself. No more Fiesta unless it is for practically pennies. No exceptions. (well....) And I'm going to 'cop to' every piece I buy, and keep an honest record of how much I really spend on my "junkin".

I have too many exceptions, where the amount of money I'm willing to spend is too flexible. I already collect vintage Pyrex, some odd pieces of Fire King, odd pieces of restaurant ware, so I genuinely have PLENTY of different 'collections' going already.

So, 3 pieces of Fiesta. Grand total spent (not including tax) = .73 cents

I realize the hazard of this is that I will indeed never find another piece of Fiesta, either new or vintage for these prices - which is probably a good thing for my kitchen, but not so hot in terms of having something to write about, lol. But, in all honesty, I have other things I probably need to institute this 'challenge' on, so we will see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment